RE: [Xen-devel] PAE support revisited

To: "Kip Macy" <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] PAE support revisited
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:42:42 +1100
Cc: "Karen White" <kawhite@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Nuutti Kotivuori" <naked@xxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:43:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> If xen and the guests all had PAE support enabled.
>
>  It doesn't matter how much physical memory the guest gets to play
> with it still needs to have 64-bit physical addresses in its page
> tables if the machine has PAE enabled.

So if xen is using PAE, all domains must also use PAE - it's a machine
wide thing and not something that could be jumped between on the fly. Is
that right? What I was hoping for was a mode where Xen might run using
PAE but could set up memory access for the domains so that they wouldn't
need to use PAE, provided their memory requirements didn't exceed 4G.
But from what you are saying this just cannot be. Oh well.

Thanks.

James