Re: [Xen-devel] xm pause <domain>

> You went over to another dump format for the DFly checkpointing, then?  What
> format does DFly / FreeBSD use for crash memory dumps?

Sorry for not responding sooner. I had to refresh my memory a bit. We
store the info for the vnode of the executable, the signal handling
dispositions, and the info for the open file handles right after the
normal coreheader. The offsets for all the standard mappings is updated
to reflect the new information being added in. Thus, GDB still just
works.

I believe that I wrote the following:
/*
         * put extra cruft for dumping process state here
         *  - we really want it be before all the program
         *    mappings
         *  - we just need to update the offset accordingly
         *    and GDB will be none the wiser.
         */
        if (error == 0)
                error = elf_puttextvp(p, target);
        if (error == 0)
                error = elf_putsigs(p, target);
        if (error == 0)
                error = elf_putfiles(p, target);

> This would be cool stuff to have both for developing and for debugging crashes
> in the field.  Xend could fairly easy be modified to auto-dump crashed
> domains, and to dump domains on request.  I like :-)

I've written the code for a generic xen guest coredump, I'll write a
separate tool to post-process the header into something either LKCD or
FreeBSD's gdb will recognize.

Now the question is, can you give me some guidance on adding it into
xend - it doesn't look as straightforward as I had hoped.

                        -Kip