Re: [Xen-devel] xm pause <domain>

> Having worked _briefly_ with elf coredumps as a starting point for
> process checkpointing, I don't think they would be well suited for this.

You went over to another dump format for the DFly checkpointing, then?  What
format does DFly / FreeBSD use for crash memory dumps?

> An elf coredump defines all of a running applications mappings in the
> program header. In a VM, there will be MANY mappings, which may be
> fragmented, corresponding to many page directory pointers

OK, makes sense.

> Examining the user-state will of course be very OS-specific.
> Nonetheless, I think that it is important that the information be there,
> so that if someone does choose to develop the tool, the pieces will
> already be there.

Yes.  I'm not sure how capable the LKCD lcrash tool is at analysing user
process state but it makes sense to be able to get at it.  It's probably not
too tough to convert between dump formats anyhow - the mkdump people support
a couple of different formats this way.

> Any corrections or contrary opinions are welcome ...

This would be cool stuff to have both for developing and for debugging crashes
in the field.  Xend could fairly easy be modified to auto-dump crashed
domains, and to dump domains on request.  I like :-)

Cheers,
Mark