Re: [Xen-devel] xen,bproc and grub

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 12:05:18AM +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > > One tool that might be useful is something to take an image (and
> > > one or more modules) and roll it into something that looks like a
> > > static multiboot layout, then wrap it to look line a linux
> > > kernel.
> >
> > yeah, it sounds like a neat idea. for this matter, does it have to look
> > like kernel? making it an simple elf image would be somewhat simpler, and
> > still work with many boot loaders. If nothing else, an intermediate step.
>
> I guess so. When I originally thought of the tool the idea was to
> be able to use pxeboot. It might also be handy for isolinux too,
> though the iso patch to grub works pretty well, unless you have
> ancient hardware.

It should be possible to build that kind of tool (at least so it would
work for Xen) starting from what I did in that kexec patch.  I'll have a
go at that and see if it's as straightforward as it looks. :)

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group