Re: [Xen-devel] Thoughts on post-configuration

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Thoughts on post-configuration
From: Jerome Brown <guruswami@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:07:32 +1300
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 06:16:26 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul Dorman wrote:
[warning: off topic, but hopefully not too off topic :o)  ]

Hi everyone,

I've been mulling this one over for a while now, and it occurs to me that there must be some members of this list tackling the same problem.

I'm using Xen for hosting web development projects. I have a number of domain 'templates' and a script which can create a new domain based on one of these templates with just a few parameters. This will be greatly expanded and ... 'webified' later on (just allows me to quickly build new domains for people right now -- later they'll do it themselves).

Once a new domain has been created, there's a bunch of places where configuration files need to be edited, and I'm wondering what the best automation tool or method might be for this. One option might be to borrow some of the techniques from the Systemimager project, which can take care of doing post-cloning configuration changes, but I'm not sure. Eventually I'd like to integrate everything into one browser-based wizard process:

log on -> choose new project (fill in metadata) -> choose template (many to choose from) -> create domain -> post install config changes -> send report (and done).

I'm setting things like hostname, hosts, apache configs, ez-publish configs, etc. Are there any tools you know about which are really effective and easy to customize and integrate into custom solutions? I'd love to hear of any successful strategies.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

cfengine www.cfengine.org