Re: [Xen-devel] xen,bproc and grub

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:45:59AM -0500, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
> yeah, kexec+multiboot works just fine for me on the laptop with PCBIOS.
>
> However, when I try kexec+multiboot on a node running LinuxBIOS the end
> result is something that looks as if node has rebooted. Pooking around I
> traced it down to the fact that it uses real mode. (If I try to load linux
> kernel using real-mode and kexec I get the exactly the same reboot, if on
> the other hand I try to load the same kernel using 32 bit mode it seems to
> work fine).

The kexec start-a-new-kernel code is the same for multiboot as for
(32-bit) linux (unless you use the --reset-vga flag with kexec --load,
and even then it doesn't leave 32-bit protected mode).  It's quite
surprising that one should work and the other not.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group