Re: [Xen-devel] RAM allocation and miscellaneous questions

To: Paul Dorman <pauld@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RAM allocation and miscellaneous questions
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:55:25 +0100
Cc: mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:05:37 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> It certainly does Mark (help, that is). I would like to learn more about this
> balloon driver, which could make things very managable. Is there any
> documentation or tutorial-like info about?

The balloon driver hasn't been forward ported from 2.4 to 2.6 --
it's on the todo list (it'll probably work unmodified modulo
changes to the way proc fs works).

> I have been wondering why my Domain-0 machine hasn't been using swap! :o) So
> should just dump that partition?

If you've configured swap, domain 0 should be using just like any
normal linux kernel. The balloon driver works in dom0 just like
any other domain.

> I suppose I'll have to be very rigorous when
> it comes to keeping that domain lean yes? (Especially as I only have 4GB to
> play with!). Out side of basic OS functionality, are there any Xen or LVM2
> related processes I have to account for when setting the amount of RAM I can
> use for Domain-0?

-xen linux kernels don't have any special processes that take any
noticeable extra resources.

In domain 0 you'll have to worry about the footprint of xend, but
it's not that big.

Ian