Re: [Xen-devel] /dev/tty1 and udev

To: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] /dev/tty1 and udev
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:45:50 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:55:52 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> After installing udev, I don't get a /dev/tty1. I can create the node
> manually and it works but that's not really the right way to do it.
>
> Does anyone know offhand how to configure udev (under debian if that
> matters) to create a /dev/tty1 so I can get something useful under a
> console?

Hmm, we presumably need to do something to tell udev so that the
device node can be made.  I'm not sure what we're missing. We
have calls to tty_register_driver and register_console. There's
nothing in any of the tty drivers that looks like specific calls
to udev.

We register the driver as NO_DEVFS, but I presume this is totally
orthogonal to udev.

Do virtual block devices appear OK?

Does anyone have a pointer to some documentation on udev? The
OLS2003 paper doesn't go into any detail of what drivers need to
do.

Ian