[Xen-devel] help! error in creating a new domain

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] help! error in creating a new domain
From: Xin Zhao <zhaoxin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:00:24 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 03:02:05 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maybe this question is a little stupid, but please help me. I am a newbie
to Xen.

When I tried to create a new domain "domain 1", I followed the Yan-Ching
CHU's guide on :installing quick file systems for new domains in Xen 1.2".
But when I do "xc_dom_create.py -Dvmid=1", Xen seems to start to boot with
some normal bootup information, but right after several proper messages,
Xen dump many messages "kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k
binfmt-9653, errno = 8". I was stuck at this problem for several days.
Please help.

Here is the detailed steps I take:

1. use bk to download Xen 1.2 and XenoLinux.

2. compile Xen 1.2 in xeno-clone/xeno-1.2.bk and XenoLinux in
xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.25.

3. Copy the xen.gz and xenolinux.tar.gz  to /boot

4. boot to domain0. Success.

5. create a new partition /dev/hdb1, create ext3 file system on it, mount
it at /mnt/domain1,  and follow CHU's guide to copy files
from Xen 1.2 CD to /mnt/domain1.

HERE: CHU's guide is not very clear to me, because it said I have to
install /usr system by copying everything in the cd except severals
directories. But the command he suggest to do this thing copy the data
directly to /mnt/domain1. As we know, /mnt/domain1 will be used as /
directory for the new domain, and there is already a /usr directory in
/mnt/domain1. Shall we copy those directories from cd to /mnt/domain1/usr
or to /mnt/domain1?

Also, in /etc/xc/defaults, there is one line that asks me to set the
location of /usr:

cmdline_extra = "4 VMID=%d usr=/dev/sda6" % vmid

If the usr is in /mnt/domain, what should I set here? because I don't know
how to set it here, I simply remove the "usr=/dev/sda6" part. I suscept
that could be a reason, but not sure.

6. After setting /etc/xc/defaults, I followed CHU's guide to do
"xc_dom_create.py -Dvmid=1", the system dumped out "domain 1 created", but
the xen_read_console dumped out error messages "kmod: failed to exec
/sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-9653, errno = 8".  I cannot even get out of
the infinite message dumping loop. FAILED!

If you know how to fix the problem, please give me some suggestions. Many
thanks!

Xin