[Xen-devel] Problems

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Problems
From: "Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia" <jahluwal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:02:31 -0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:03:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

We followed the instructions listed at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~br260/xeno-howto. We are using Mandrake 9.2 on a P4 1.6 ghz with 512mb of ram. We have several issues:

1). On our first boot up into domain zero it says it can’t find any of the hardware (cdrom, hda, fd0, etc.).

2). We get a lot of warnings when booting into domain zero and when starting domains about files that should be in /var/lib/xen or xeno-something.

3). xen_nat_enable doesn’t exist.

4). xen_read_console says it cannot bind to a port.

5).  Our xenctl.xml is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<domctl_defaults>
<domain_name>XenoLinux</domain_name>
<domain_size_kb>98304</domain_size_kb>
<domain_image>/boot/xenolinux.gz</domain_image>
<domain_vifs>1</domain_vifs>
<domain_init_rd>/boot/initrd.img</domain_init_rd>
<root_device>/dev/hda5</root_device>
<root_args>ro</root_args>
<args>DOMID=+</args>
<nw_ip>192.168.1.5+</nw_ip>
<nw_gw>192.168.1.1</nw_gw>
<nw_mask>255.255.255.0</nw_mask>
<max_domain_number>1000</max_domain_number>
<xi_tools_dir>/usr/local/bin/</xi_tools_dir>
</domctl_defaults>

6). Our xen-mynewdom file is as follows:

domain new
physical grant –p/dev/hda5
domain start

7). When we create a domain with the script above, we also get a warning about nothing in /var/lib/xen and that it cannot find /dev/hda5.

8). We can initially ping the new domain once it has been started but cannot ssh into it.

We hope that you can shed some light on these issues.

Thank You,

Jas