RE: [Xen-devel] More about Resource Scheduling and Accounting

To: <cs0u210a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] More about Resource Scheduling and Accounting
From: "Rolf Neugebauer" <rn@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:28:43 +0100
Cc: <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rn@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:31:29 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

in xen the scheduler is implemented in common/schedule.c. sched.h includes
the task structure and common ac_timer.c provides a timer interface. The
interface to changes scheduling parameters is exported to dom via
common/dom0_ops.c and in via a hypercall (HYPERCALL_dom0_op). See
xi_sched_domain.c for an example.

A new scheduler mainly requires changes to schedule.c but also to
dom0_ops.c to change the parameters passed from domain0.

BVT provides prop. fairness. That works fine. BVT also has a mechanism to
decrease wakeup latencies (warping). This currently happens if a domain
receives an event. As a domain in the current version receives a periodic
ticker interrupt this means it gets warped periodically (subject to the
limits provided by BVT). This also means that if a more important event
arrives (e.g., network packet) a domain might not be warped. This may be a
problem. I have patches which hopefully solve this (under test at the
moment). These patches disable the periodic ticker and on the xenolinux
side are based on-demand timer patches IBM provides for the s390 port of
Linux.

I'd suggest to try to implement one or more different scheduler, maybe one
offering absolute shares, rather than prop. fairness. As we say in the
paper this should be quite straight forward.

Another limitation of the current scheduler is that it doesn't provide
migration of domains between CPUs. A domain is currently assigned a fixed
CPU. migrating it to others CPUs when that CPU is busy would be useful.
Maybe you want to look at "take scheduling" (sorry don't have a reference
handy)

for network scheduling see Keir's recent checkin.

Rolf