Re: [Xen-devel] Please help on Xen installation

To: Ning Wu <ningwu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Please help on Xen installation
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:37:31 +0100
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:39:20 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> You are right that host doesn't have video card. It's one of many
> "barebones" (is this the right term?) in a cluster on the shelf. I
> accessed it by telnetting to a terminal server. There might be conflicts.
> Do you recommend to install Xen on a regular machine?

We generally do all our debugging on a rack of machines that we
access via a RS232 terminal server. However, each of the machines
has a VGA device even if we haven't got a monitor connected to
it. (many BIOSes won't let a machine boot without a graphics card
of some description).

Unfortunately, Xen doesn't check to see that a VGA is present
before writing to it. I guess this is a bug.

Have you got a machine where you could download the source tar
ball and rebuild Xen? If so, disabling VGA console output is easy.

> BTW, is there a user manual somewhere?

I'm afraid the only `documentation' is currently the xen-devel
archives and README.CD / README. We're working on a FAQ, and will
hopefully develop some proper documentation in due
course. Perhaps some kind users will contribute ;-)

Ian