[Xen-API] Re: Flood test with xen/openvswitch

To: Sébastien Riccio <public-sr-dWg6jWm8wxMIjDr1QQGPvw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-API] Re: Flood test with xen/openvswitch
From: Ben Pfaff <blp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 08:15:23 -0700
Cc: "xen-api-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <public-xen-api-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 17:11:33 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why did you post separate copies of this message to xen-api and
ovs-discuss, without even mentioning it in either copy?  What is
the value of splintering discussion?

Sébastien Riccio <sr-dWg6jWm8wxMIjDr1QQGPvw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I just did a test to see how openvswitch handle a flood from a virtual
> machine on a xen
> host using it as the networking layer.
>
> I just issued a :
>
> vm1# hping3  -S -L 0 -p 80 -i u100 192.168.1.1
>
> options I used are:
> -S set SYN tcp flag
> -L set ACK tcp flag
> -p destination port
> -i u100 = interval between packets in micro seconds
>
> This results in a cpu usage up to 97% by the ovs-vswitchd process in
> the dom0.
> Letting it go for a few minutes turns the whole xen host unresponsive
> to network access
> and must then be accessed from the local console.

When you report a bug, it is important to give all the important
details.  It is especially important for a performance-related bug like
this.

Please pass along the following information:

        * The Open vSwitch version number (as output by "ovs-vswitchd
          --version").

        * The Git commit number (as output by "git rev-parse HEAD"),
          if you built from a Git snapshot.

        * Any local patches or changes you have applied (if any).

        * The kernel version on which Open vSwitch is running (from
          /proc/version) and the distribution and version number of
          your OS (e.g. "Centos 5.0").

        * The contents of the vswitchd configuration database (usually
          /etc/openvswitch/conf.db).

        * The output of "ovs-dpctl show".

        * If you have Open vSwitch configured to connect to an
          OpenFlow controller, the output of "ovs-ofctl show <bridge>"
          for each <bridge> configured in the vswitchd configuration
          database.