Re: [Xen-API] Xapi problem

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Xapi problem
From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 04:37:24 +0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:36:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references :in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=BSAwy+sHRlqWdjISZt36Uyxx+jm6N6getkippCzsvHc=; b=dx2MBT98j9RYCEUUqORHoI1A14h8/lqIDadCvyoPpyW6JzRRNAxvsAZ60MjmZeaXe4 E4npDMDvFw338xj5S3IC/OJLvexleiZ45VZejWgrFYFF/wvZAnGYEkTdGYPmYYG68Rv0 QEZXFu60rYNdW7LvFoZ3fwZNiwMuEDaOjJZZ0=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'd like to say it's pretty often problem. When something going wrong, xapi, squeezed, different kernel daemons start to flood messages. The logrotation is not very helpful in this case and host cease action.
Especially this dramatic when space is ran out on pool master.
Classic situation is storage error (f.e. list loose to some iscsi SR).

Right now we creates and mounts separate partition for /tmp (where kernels extracted by pygrub), /var/log (where flood occur) and /var/xapi (where messages and state.db stored). This allows to continue host operations even in case of 'log partition filled' situation. We tried to hack XCP installation to do this in install time but it very configurable, so we do this in post installation stage.

And we do have some 'handmade' monitor reporting us via mail about space running out. From my statistic under heavy load (few thousands VM) it happens about 2-3 hosts per week.