RE: RE: [Xen-API] Xen-API: XMLRPC Documentation

To: 'George Shuklin' <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: RE: [Xen-API] Xen-API: XMLRPC Documentation
From: Rob Hoes <Rob.Hoes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:13:56 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 06:14:22 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I think, using some kind of database (sql is not good, may be something
> like mongo?) with allowed access to database (with nice and powerful
> query language) will help to obtain required data without master
> overload.

I'm not sure whether the solution is to use another database. It is probably a
good idea though to make the XenAPI "richer", such that it is easier to query
the xapi database.

> Few things we extremely lack in XCP - is resource accounting.
>
> 1. CPU usage. xc.domain_getinfo() let us know in seconds. It cool, but
> value loss on reboot and migration (so we create subsystem to collect
> data).
>
> 2. Memory usage. XCP data suck. If xenballon fail to complete request
> we
> can get memory-dynamic/target values different from real allocation.
> xc.domain_getinfo() show us real use in kb. If we changing memory on
> demand, it requied to account it in some synthetic form (kb*hr).
>
> 3. disk io accounting. I found information about I/O operation amount
> in /sys fs for VBD and we collecting those data (by our agent). And,
> yet
> again, information lost on every domain reboot/migration.
>
> 4. Same for network (vif).
>
> If those data are storing in metrics - it really helps... But common
> database with direct access via requests is required again.

Did you try the RRD functionality to obtain information about resource usage? I
think you can get all the information you need from there. See
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_RRDs for details.

Cheers,
Rob