From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jan Bakuwel
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:21 PM
To: James Harper
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows 2000 server VM on Xen open source CPU
hog?

Hi James,

> What does Windows 2000 report it's CPU usage at?

Below 10% when xentop consistently reports 190-199.5%.

> Does the problem appear with only a single CPU (and preferably a UP
> HAL)?

I haven't tried that yet. The server used to run on physical hardware so
anything that was on it was migrated to the VM. I noticed there are two
(?) HALs registered: ACPI Multiprocessor PC and MPS Multiprocessor PC...

> GPLPV (which doesn't work on W2K) has an option to patch windows
kernels
> < W2K3SP2 to improve performance. Backporting just that part might not
> be a huge deal, although the problem that fixes wouldn't cause 2 cpu's
> to be pegged at 100%...

I had a look at GPLPV but quickly realised Windows 2000 wasn't
supported...

Jan