Re: [Xen-users] Xen and I/O Intensive Loads

Pasi,

1) Yes, it seems to, although I've not run my e-mail server inside my dom0, yet - that's not really possible.

2) Just on domU - dom0 seems fine.

3) No, I haven't played around much with pinning dom0 or any of the domUs to certain CPU cores.

4) Updating to SLES11 is in the future; however, doing this requires that I do it to all my production Xen nodes concurrently, since the OCFS2 filesystem doesn't really play nice with other versions.  I can either have it mounted on the SLES10 box(es) or the SLES11 box(es), but not both at the same time.

Thanks!

-Nick

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:01:13AM -0600, Nick Couchman wrote:

> Hi, folks,
> The disk volume for the e-mail is on my SAN, and I've attached the FC LUN to my Xen host

Does the SAN LUN perform OK from dom0 without any domUs running?

> I'm running into an issue with high I/O wait on the box (~250%) and large load averages (20-40 for the 1/5/15 minute average).

Do you have iowait on dom0, or only in domU?

Try running "iostat 1" in both dom0 and domU.

Also, have you dedicated a cpu core only for dom0?

> I'm running Xen 3.2.0 on SLES 10 SP2, on a Dell PowerEdge R610 server.  The FC HBA is a QLE2462, dual-channel 4Gb FC card.  Any help, hints, etc., are greatly appreciated!

You could also try updating to SLES11.

-- Pasi

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.