Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Linux 3.0-rc1 - what Xen components went in.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:31:43PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:07:06AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:48:20AM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> >>The 3.0-rc2 compiled and started without problems, even the DomU
> >>started.  But when I looked at the DomU console I noticed that the
> >>system had problems with the filesystems. ext3 and ext4 partitions
> >>produced journal errors and got mounted read only.
> >Hmm, are barriers somehow being turned on? (They shouldn't). It would
> >be helpfull if you included the error logs.
>
> At least with 2.6.36.4-DomU barriers seems to be enabled:
> blkfront: xvda1: barriers enabled (tag)
> blkfront: xvda2: barriers enabled (tag)
> blkfront: xvda5: barriers enabled (tag)
> blkfront: xvda6: barriers enabled (tag)
> blkfront: xvda7: barriers enabled (tag)
> blkfront: xvda8: barriers enabled (tag)

That is wrong. It should not have turned them on. The 3.0 version
does not export the feature-barrier at all. Looks like a bug
in xen-blkfront in 2.6.36 ..

> xvda1 is ext3 (root fs) with the mount option barrier=1, but this
> doesnât seem to work (EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled). The other
> filesystems are ext4 without explicit barrier options and donât have
> log output concerning barriers.

Uh, what? Do you see the errors if the barriers are turned off.  As
in -o barrier=0 or -o writeback=1

> For now I canât make tests since Iâm not at home for the next days.
> Then I will try to get logs as well. Since the filesystems are
> changed to read only, the logs are not written to disk, so I have to
> use other methods.

Uh, you can log the output from the kernel using the 'xl crreate -c'.
You might need to edit the Linux command line options..

> >I don't try to put disks as partitions. Let me try that. Are the sizes
> >that xne-blkfront report the same?
>
> xen-blkfront? Is this a program or kernel output? Dom0 or DomU?

kernel output.

> >Ah, hadn't tried LUKS. What happens if they are _not_ on LUKS?
>
> For now I canât try it. Besides /boot in Dom0 all my partitions are
> LUKS encrypted.

OK? Can you try in a week or so? I am going to try to reproduce LUKS here.
You could just create new partition.

> >>The DomU kernel is a 2.6.36.4 vanilla kernel. I noticed that I canât
> >>use a newer kernel. Every kernel > 2.6.36 crashes the DomU
> >>immediatley (I donât even get a console). The log said that DomU was
> >>crashing too fast, so it was disabled to avoid loops. This happens
> >>with 2.6.34.8 as Dom0 kernel and with 3.0-rc2.
> >Can you boot it with 'earlyprintk=xenboot debug loglevel=10' please?
>
> Is this a boot option I pass to the DomU kernel? I will do the test
> next week.

Yes.