[Xen-devel] Re: Linux 3.0-rc1 - what Xen components went in.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:07:06AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:48:20AM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
The 3.0-rc2 compiled and started without problems, even the DomU
started.  But when I looked at the DomU console I noticed that the
system had problems with the filesystems. ext3 and ext4 partitions
produced journal errors and got mounted read only.
Hmm, are barriers somehow being turned on? (They shouldn't). It would
be helpfull if you included the error logs.

At least with 2.6.36.4-DomU barriers seems to be enabled:
blkfront: xvda1: barriers enabled (tag)
blkfront: xvda2: barriers enabled (tag)
blkfront: xvda5: barriers enabled (tag)
blkfront: xvda6: barriers enabled (tag)
blkfront: xvda7: barriers enabled (tag)
blkfront: xvda8: barriers enabled (tag)

xvda1 is ext3 (root fs) with the mount option barrier=1, but this doesnât seem to work (EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled). The other filesystems are ext4 without explicit barrier options and donât have log output concerning barriers.

For now I canât make tests since Iâm not at home for the next days. Then I will try to get logs as well. Since the filesystems are changed to read only, the logs are not written to disk, so I have to use other methods.

I don't try to put disks as partitions. Let me try that. Are the sizes
that xne-blkfront report the same?

xen-blkfront? Is this a program or kernel output? Dom0 or DomU?

Ah, hadn't tried LUKS. What happens if they are _not_ on LUKS?

For now I canât try it. Besides /boot in Dom0 all my partitions are LUKS encrypted.

The DomU kernel is a 2.6.36.4 vanilla kernel. I noticed that I canât
use a newer kernel. Every kernel > 2.6.36 crashes the DomU
immediatley (I donât even get a console). The log said that DomU was
crashing too fast, so it was disabled to avoid loops. This happens
with 2.6.34.8 as Dom0 kernel and with 3.0-rc2.
Can you boot it with 'earlyprintk=xenboot debug loglevel=10' please?

Is this a boot option I pass to the DomU kernel? I will do the test next week.

Are you using a special version of .config? Is it available somewhere?

http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/config-2.6.38.3-DomU (not working)
http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/config-2.6.36.4-DomU (working)

Thanks for your help.

Shade and sweet water!