Re: [Xen-devel] Re: how to enable shadow page table? Do I have to run HVM guest systems for shadow paging mode?

At 18:40 +0000 on 16 Mar (1237228854), longwang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> 2) When I call paging_mode_log_dirty(pdom) in hypervisor, the hypervisor
> crashes. I thought paging_mode_log_dirty() enables the shadow paging as
> well as dirty logging after I had read live migration code. But I was
> wrong. paging_mode_log_dirty() crashes because shadow paging is not
> enabled yet.
>
> Now I need to enable shadow paging mode in my testbed (PV).

You wrote all the code before figuring out how to turn on shadow pagetables?

> I tried the
> auto_translated_physmap in the domU config file. But "xm create" failed
> with :
> Error: (1, 'Internal error', 'xc_dom_boot_domU_map: failed to mmap domU
> pages 0x100+0x2da [mmap, errno=14 (Bad address)]\n')

As Jeremy says, auto_translated_physmap doesn't work on recent Xens or
recent Linuxes.

> So how can I enable shadow paging? Do I have to run HVM for this to work?

If you want the shadow code to hide a layer of address translations
(i.e. have gfn != mfn) then yes, you need HVM.

Otherwise, you can just copy what the live-migration tools do to turn on
shadow pagetables for PV guests.  It's just one hypercall.  For example,
in python:

 #!/usr/bin/env python
 import sys
 import xen.lowlevel.xc
 xen.lowlevel.xc.xc().shadow_control(dom=int(sys.argv[1]), op=1)

To turn on log-dirty mode, use op=2.  To turn off shadow mode, op=0.

Cheers,

Tim.