[Xen-devel] Re: how to enable shadow page table? Do I have to run HVM guest systems for shadow paging mode?

Long Wang wrote:
I am working on a research project based on Xen 3.3.1. I want to use the
shadow page table for setting guest system memory pages as read-only and/or
dirty, and perform a copy-on-write mechanism when these memory pages are
updated. I heard that auto_translated_physmap is not supported any more.

Yes, auto_translated_physmap is not supported by Xen or by the pvops guest kernels.

Then how can I enable shadow page table? Do I have to run HVM guest systems
to have shadow paging mode? Can I enable shadow paging mode in PV?

Well, Xen supports log-dirty mode for doing live migration of PV guests, which looks to be what you're describing above. You might want to look into the existing live migration machinery to see if it meets your needs.