Re: [Xen-devel] Live migration: "netbuf race" messages can cause significant perfomance impact

>Someone found that doing a live migration of a domain that had ballooned
>down took far longer to migrate. (Ballooned down from 3000M to 1000M, 31
>seconds vs 89 seconds, real time) I came up with a complex theory and
>asked him to look in the xend.log to confirm it. He didn't, but he
>mentioned there was a lot of "netbuf race" messages in the log. In this
>particular case, live migration generated approximately 512000 "netbuf
>race" messages. Deleting the DPRINTF reduced the migration time to 11
>seconds.
>
>While it is simple enough to submit a patch to delete this DPRINTF,
>perhaps something more subtle is called for such as modifying the
>migrate/save command paths to accept a debug argument and passing to
>xc_save?

There's nothing much we can do here - there's no easy way for us to
distinguish between pages which are 'ballooned out' and pages which
are temporarily being used for network buffers. I've checked in a fix
to unstable (cset 13185:62ef527eb19f) which simply removes this particular
debug output.

thanks for spotting this!

cheers,

S.