RE: [Xen-devel] Live migration: "netbuf race" messages can cause significant perfomance impact

  • To: "John Byrne" <john.l.byrne@xxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:18:49 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:19:13 -0800

> Someone found that doing a live migration of a domain that had
ballooned
> down took far longer to migrate. (Ballooned down from 3000M to 1000M,
31
> seconds vs 89 seconds, real time) I came up with a complex theory and
> asked him to look in the xend.log to confirm it. He didn't, but he
> mentioned there was a lot of "netbuf race" messages in the log. In
this
> particular case, live migration generated approximately 512000 "netbuf
> race" messages. Deleting the DPRINTF reduced the migration time to 11
> seconds.
>
> While it is simple enough to submit a patch to delete this DPRINTF,
> perhaps something more subtle is called for such as modifying the
> migrate/save command paths to accept a debug argument and passing to
> xc_save?

Ideally, we'd do more than suppress the printf.  We're needless
re-scanning the bitmap for the pages that are ballooned out because
we're not distinguishing them from other pages like network buffers that
are temporarily not part of the p2m map. I'm pretty sure my original
implementation got this right and its since been broken :)

This scanning probably isn't very expensive (sans the printf), but its
worth cleaning up.

Ian