Re: [Xen-devel] ioctl 0000126c not supported by XL blkif

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 18:44 -0800, Luke Crawford wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Ian Campbell wrote:

> > Could you try the patch below, hopefully it will give some indication
> > which process is calling the unimplemented ioctl. Once we have confirmed
> > for sure that it is BLKGETLASTSECT on x86 we can look at fixing it up.
>
> ioctl 0000126c  from pid 130 "partx" not supported by XL blkif
> ioctl 0000126c  from pid 145 "partx" not supported by XL blkif
> ioctl 0000126c  from pid 162 "partx" not supported by XL blkif
> ioctl 0000126c  from pid 179 "partx" not supported by XL blkif
> ioctl 0000126c  from pid 194 "partx" not supported by XL blkif
> ioctl 0000126c  from pid 209 "partx" not supported by XL blkif
>
> > My feeling is that the warning is pretty harmless. Though it might bite
> > you if you wanted to repartition or something.
>
> partx.  I guess I need to go do some googling on why that is there.

It comes from the util-linux package.

partx only makes this ioctl call if you have an odd number of sectors in
your diskimage, and only when trying to process an "EFI GUID Partition
Table" (whatever that is, I presume it is an IA64 thing, although the
partx code is unconditional).

I assume you aren't really using this type of partition table so I
expect it will fail harmlessly.

Do you have a disk setup which might cause it to think it needs to try
the more unusual partition types? Perhaps you are using an unpartitioned
disk of an odd size? That reproduced it for me.

Ian.