Re: [Xen-devel] Problems with network-route/vif-route scripts

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 05:17:50PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> I've been attempting to get the network-route/vif-route scripts running
> instead of using the traditional bridging setup, but running into some
> puzzelling issues.

Are you using an hvm or pv guest?

Routing under hvm requires a bit of hacking.  Qemu uses /dev/tap*
devices rather than the vif*.* devices and is by default invoked in a
bridging mode (the default /etc/xen/qemu-ifup script that is invoked by
qemu-dm on launch simply adds the tap device to the bridge xenbr0).

I've found that turning the vif script executed by xend into a no-op,
changing the qemu-ifup script to invoke a vif-like script with the
correct vif and XENBUS_PATH defined, and modifying image.py to invoke
qemu-dm without the bridging.

There is a patch for image.py in
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-09/msg00976.html

To the list -- is there a chance that the qemu-dm network device
interaction will follow the pv naming scheme anytime soon?

-John McCullough