Re: [Xen-devel] Has 3.0.3 been released?

Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 17/10/06 11:01 pm, "Aron Griffis" <aron@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Will xen-unstable move forward to (at least) 2.6.18 now?
>
> This is certainly planned before 3.0.4.

Do you expect it to fall behind again during the development cycle,
and how much?

>> Will the tree structure change from the current sparse model to
>> a fully-populated kernel?  IMHO it wouldn't be too hard to use
>> something similar to
>> http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.tip-xen.hg plus a top-level
>> xen directory containing the hypervisor.  Alternatively, since Xen
>> isn't just Linux, maybe the hypervisor and kernels should be in
>> separate repositories?
>
> Perhaps. We might at least separate the kernel bits from the hypervisor
> bits. We like working with a sparse tree as it's much quicker than cloning
> entire Linux repos.

Ahem.  Isn't there enough suffering in the world?

The sparse tree has been an enourmous pain in the neck for me and many
others.  If all that pain is outweighed by quicker cloning of Linux
repos, then you must do that much more often than I can imagine.