Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch rfc 1/3] xen arch header rework.

On 11/10/06 10:16, "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jan Beulich wrote:
>>> +    uint32_t      unused;  /* alignment
>>> */
>>
>> Could you use _pad[0-9]* here as is done elsewhere, so that scripts
>
> Fixed using "_attribute__((aligned (8)))" instead.
>
> I've switched over to generating headers containing the
> architecture-specific structures and defines for the tools, current
> patch is at
> http://www.suse.de/~kraxel/patches/kraxel-unstable-master-xen-hg11731-quilt/to
> ols-domain-builder-header-gen.diff

I like this approach (although I don't like Perl, but at least it's better
than reams of bash, which is definitely the pits ;-). The Solaris guys won't
like the gcc attributes, but they can add some flexibility to the script to
target the pragmas/extensions of their own compiler.

A generic script that can read in public header files, parse according to
the rules of one architectural ABI and spit out header files matching the
rules of another ABI is definitely a good thing. If it can also generate the
offset/size statistics for any given ABI then that's even better. Basically,
it would be good to centralise all this scripting intelligence in one place,
rather than scatter hacks all over the place. This script looks like a
plausible starting point.

 -- Keir