Re: [Xen-devel] Re: 3.0.2-testing: pci_set_dma_mask, pci_set_consistent_dma_mask(pci, 0x0fffffff) returns < 0 (ICE1712)

On 14 Apr 2006, at 08:53, Molle Bestefich wrote:

Is there a VM interface to allow you to say 'please terminate usage of
*that* page'? That could be extremely useful!

Could it?
Such an interface sounds extremely prone to race conditions to my ear.

Well, it does depend on how the interface is defined. What you want is to be able to tell the VM system to stop using a page, not to reuse it, and not to put it on the usual free-page lists. Quite how the transfer of 'ownership' of that page to e.g., the balloon driver is enacted would perhaps be a subtle issue. I was mainly wondering whether anything like this already exists in the Linux kernel -- because adding it from scratch could be a huge pain. Unfortunately I think that huge pain is why patches to do hotplug memory removal have not been added to the mainline Linux tree.

 -- Keir