xense-devel

Re: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd problem

To: Burak OÐUZ <burakoguzs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd problem
From: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:35:12 -0500
Cc: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 05:35:09 -0800
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/05/2006 04:31:43 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie in tpm virtualization on Xen. I have a working IFX
> Tpm. I have a few questions about the usage of the vtpm_managerd and
> vtpm usage :
>
> 1 - vtpm_managerd gives that error

> dungeon trousers-CVS # vtpm_managerd
> INFO[VTPM]: Starting VTPM.
> INFO[TCS]: Constructing new TCS:
> ERROR[TXDATA]: TPM open failedERROR in VTPM_Init_Manager at
> vtpm_manager.c:205 code: TPM_IOERROR.
> ERROR[VTPM]: Closing vtpmd due to error during startup.

Did you compile the TPM backend driver? If you compile it as a module do 'modprobe tpmbk' before you start the vtpm_managerd. Also you have to have the driver for your hardware TPM in the kernel before you start it. Both /dev/vtpm and /dev/tpm0 have to be there.

> 2 - How can I activate vtpm on domUs? After modprobing the tpm_xenu
> I start trousers on a domU, it gives such an error :

Once you modprobed tpm_xenu, is /dev/tpm0 available?
Did you start you user domain with a running vtpm_managerd and the 'vtpm = ...' line in the vm config file?

> pardus ~ # tcsd -f
> TCSD tcsd_conf.c:644 resetting mode of /usr/local/var/lib/tpm to: 01777
> TDDL tddl.c:116 WARNING: ioctl: (25) Inappropriate ioctl for device
> TDDL tddl.c:117 Falling back to Read/Write device support.
> TCS tcs_utils.c:262 ERROR: TCS GetCapability failed with result = 0x9

I will try to reproduce it, but am having problems compiling trousers at the moment.

> 3 - Also if you have any resources other than IBM documents and  Xen
> User Manual  that will be very useful...

There are tons of specifications for TPM, but they won't help you for TPM virtualization or Xen : www.trustedcomputinggroup.org

   Stefan