RE: [Xen-users] Xm live migration between Intel and AMD

To: "'Xen Users List'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xm live migration between Intel and AMD
From: <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:28:05 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:29:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, the docs say that.  In fact, you need to have exactly the same CPU, not just the same brand.  For example, you cannot even add a new server to an existing pool if the CPUs are not identical.  We recently added a dual Intel Xeon 5645 server to a pool that contained servers with dual Intel Xeon 5520.  The only way we could add it to the pool was by using CPU leveling.  We had to use xe to ask the existing pool members what their CPU features were and then we used xe on the new node to mask its CPU features down to the same level as the existing nodes in the pool.  Then we could add the new node without any problem.  I don’t think the CPU leveling tricks will work between Intel and AMD, though.  I think the trick only works within a given brand.