RE: [Xen-users] Re: XEN - networking and performance

To: "Simon Hobson" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: XEN - networking and performance
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 09:25:48 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 15:27:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Jeff Sturm wrote:
>
> >Anyone tried SSD with good results?  I'm sure capacity requirements
can
> >make it cost-prohibitive for many.
>
> Interesting that a product I recall from 'some years ago' doesn't seem
to have
> popped up again - or perhaps it has and I never noticed since I'm not
into
> high end storage. This device looked to the host like a standard SCSI
disk, but
> internally it had a load of DRAM, a small (2 1/2" ?) disk, a
controller, and a
> small battery.
> Basically it was a big RAM disk with a SCSI interface, but when the
power
> went off it would write everything to disk. I suspect it probably had
> continuous process of writing dirty blocks to disk.
> Mind you, I suppose RAM does still cost somewhat more than disk.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-au/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

It's a 500GB 2.5" disk with 4GB of SSD used as a cache. The drive
handles the caching internally so the OS just sees a disk. I have one in
my laptop (running Windows) and it seems to speed things up a great
deal, although I don't know how much of that is just that it's a 7200
rather than a 5400 RPM disk.

I don't think there are any such things in the 'enterprise grade'
product space though.

James