[Xen-users] Re: XEN - networking and performance

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: XEN - networking and performance
From: fpt stl <fptstl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 15:21:41 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:23:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your reply.

The copy is a plain cp and the files are around 100k - 200k each, with some gzip archives as well.

So, if I understand correctly, if a DomU (VM) has attached several disks/xvd's (LVs in Dom0 storage space) then the Dom0 or Xen hypervisor is responsible for moving the data between the DomU disks.

Alternately, if the DomU has just one xvd (a larger LM in Dom0 storage space) then only DomU's allocated resources will be used.

The second sounds better in terms or resource allocation at least. Converting several LVs which are attached to one DomU VM into one larger LV might create some performance improvement.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Frank