[Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0, LibXL, Bridged Networking, IPv6 Issues

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0, LibXL, Bridged Networking, IPv6 Issues
From: Iain Kay <spam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:25:30 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 08:27:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey all,

Having an issue getting IPv6 working with my Xen VM's. I have Xen 4.1.0 running
with Konrad Wilk's 2.6.39.1 kernel on top of CentOS 5.6. The network
configuration is bridged. Using Lib XL.

My /etc/xen/xl.conf:

vifscript="vif-bridge"

My VM cfg files:

vif = [ 'mac=00:50:56:26:9b:55,bridge=xenbr0' ]

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xenbr0:

DEVICE=xenbr0
TYPE=Bridge
IPV6INIT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=82.192.84.xx
IPADDR=82.192.84.xx
NETMASK=255.255.255.192
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0
NM_CONTROLLED=no

On the guest OS I can see the IP Address with ifconfig:

inet6 addr: 2001:1af8:4010:a00b:1::ff11/64 Scope:Global

Host side there is no IPv6 configuration done. As far as I know the bridge is
just a layer 2 bridge and will fire any IPv6 traffic on to the switch.

I cannot ping IPv6 addresses from the host at all, just get error:

socket: Address family not supported by protocol

When running tcpdump on the VM itself I don't see any IPv6 traffic what so ever.

Any ideas what could be going wrong or any further info I could provide/look in
to?

Cheers

Iain Kay