Re: [Xen-users] XCP storage

To: "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP storage
From: "Jon R." <jonr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:38:05 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:35:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thursday, June 9, 2011 08:41 AKDT, "Jon R." <jonr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 8, 2011 23:40 AKDT, Denis Cardon
> <denis.cardon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > > I have setup XCP using the install .iso and have been trying to do an
> > > install over http, this has failed miserably each time. So now I want to
> > > just carve out an lvm from the disk and put my .iso files in there and
> > > install off of them. How is this done?
> >
> > what url are you using? http://ftp.debian.org/debian ?
> >
> > Does you dom0 have access to the internet? Can you wget the following
> > url from dom0 :
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/xen/vmlinuz
> >
> > . If not, you could check dom0 network config.
> >
> > If you cannot have access to internet from dom0 (internal policy, etc.),
> > then you can set up an internal web server with the content of the
> > following directory :
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/xen/
> >
> > . You are not required to download more since you can configure the
> > debian installer to use a proxy after initial kernel/ramdisk loading.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Denis
>
> Hi Denis,
>
> I am trying to install from a local webserver where I have an iso loop back
> mounted. I have tested that I can connect and pull files from this using
> wget. I am trying to install CentOS5.5 64bit and have used templates for RH
> 5, CentOS 5 and Other Media without success. Here is how I am trying to do it:
>
>  uuid=$(xe vm-install template='Other install media' new-name-label='CO5')
> ----Doesn't seem to matter which template I use.
>
> netuuid=$(xe network-list bridge=xenbr0 --minimal)
>
> xe vif-create vm-uuid=$uuid network-uuid=$netuuid mac=random device=0
> other-config-install-repository=http://192.168.9.35/home
>
> xe vm-param-set uuid=$uuid other-config-install-repository=cdrom,http
>
> xe vm-start uuid=$uuid
>
> This works to start the VM but it never looks to the http repo that I have on
> the local network. In VNC it says that it cannot find the CD or HD for the
> install. How do I get it to look to my webserver to install from the loop
> back mounted iso?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Jon

I believe I have figured out what my issue was. In this line above:

 xe vif-create vm-uuid=$uuid network-uuid=$netuuid mac=random device=0
other-config-install-repository=http://192.168.9.35/home

I have vm-uuid before network-uuid when I switched the two around so that it
read this way instead:

xe vif-create network-uuid=$netuuid vm-uuid=$uuid mac=random device=0
other-config-install-
repository=http://192.168.9.35/home

I was able to get a successful install from my loopback mounted ISO on my
internal webserver.

Thanks for all the help, I am sure to have many more questions as I move along.

Jon