Re: [Xen-users] openvswitch on xen 4.1

To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] openvswitch on xen 4.1
From: Mario <mario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:18:37 +0200
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:19:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 06/09/2011 08:44 PM, Todd Deshane wrote:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Mario<mario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hello,

It seems that /etc/xen/scripts/qemu-ifup is being ignored by xl.
This may happen if you have an existing bridge device, since Xen 4.1
networking works a bit differently.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/MigrationGuideToXen4.1%2B

It might still be a bug, but let's try to narrow that down a bit.

I start my networking with:

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.openvswitch ]; then
  echo "Starting Open vSwitch:  /etc/rc.d/rc.openvswitch"
  /etc/rc.d/rc.openvswitch start
  /sbin/ifconfig eth1 down
  /sbin/ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up
  /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl -- --may-exist add-br public
  /sbin/ifconfig public 0.0.0.0 up
  /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl -- --may-exist add-port public eth1
  for i in $(ovs-vsctl list-ports public|grep -v eth1); do
    ovs-vsctl del-port $i
  done
fi

This brings up a bridge called "public" and it lets me add vif/tap's into it, not pretty but it works.

My xl.conf has: vifscript="/etc/xen/scripts/vif-openvswitch", and this works
fine for vifX.X devices. In order to make tapX.X work i hacked in the
following:

ovs-vsctl -- --may-exist add-port ${bridge} ${vif/vif/tap}

Where did you put this line?

To make it easier, here is a script that i modified to get things worknig:

http://dev.slackverse.org/tmp/openvswitch

Basicly i have only added "/sys/class/net/${vif/vif/tap}/uevent" check, wich overwrites $vif variable so that script can be used for both vif and tap interfaces. As i said before, qemu-ifup gets ignored, so i had no other alternative.

One more thing i noticed is that "offline" is never called, so interfaces never get cleaned up from bridge.

When testing with 'xm' i remove $vif override, and everything works fine. Interfaces get added/removed from bridge, and tap gets added with qemu-ifup script.

Can i help any more?

Is there a better way to make tap interfaces work ?

Thanks,
mario