Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Adrien Guillon <aj.guillon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Regarding updates, could it be that shifting XCP to a Debian-based
> distribution will help?

Should be possible, but again, not as easy at it sounds.

There's a relevant thread on xen-devel:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/205640?do=post_view_flat
It should give an insight on why it's not a trivial task.

> I admit I have some bias, since I prefer
> Debian-based distros (although I did have a fling with Gentoo for a
> few years, but it's over between us).  Should we, perhaps, make a
> concerted effort to adjust XCP to be a hardened distro rather than
> just a fork of something put out by Citrix?

Good idea, but again, not as easy at it sounds. An initiative like
that would most likely mean someone has to do all (or at least most)
the work (at least initially). For example, IMHO Xen Live CD
(http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/LiveCD) is very useful, but looking
at both the wiki page and github no one (other than the author) is
interested enough to contribute.

--
Fajar