Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?

To: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?
From: Michael South <msouth@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 13:23:04 -0400
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:24:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My two cents... (I'm not replying to any specific points, so have elided
original msgs.)

Xen is _not_ intended to do the same thing as VMware, Parallels, or other
virtualization utilities running on a desktop or laptop. It doesn't extend a
"main" OS with extra capabilities. Instead, think of it as a management port on
a blade server box, letting you move CPU chips, memory DIMMs, and disk cables
between the blades. The hypervisor is the blade backplane. Dom0 only has two
purposes in life: 1) run the lowest levels of the hardware drivers, 2) update
the "firmware" binaries and configuration. Everything else, such as compilers
to create the binaries, user management and authentication services, mail, web,
file sharing, NTP, and _especially_ publicly accessible login/shells, should go
on the "blades"--the domU's.

You could also think of the hypervisor/dom0 as a very weird router. Exposing
this to the public makes operations people nervous for the same reasons that
exposing a Cisco box's management interface would.

A very common model for this would be:

--
Michael South
msouth@xxxxxxxxxx