Re: [Xen-users] /dev/sda2 does not exist. Dropping to a shell! (Dom0: Ub

To: Hitesh Khandelwal <hitesh.iitk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] /dev/sda2 does not exist. Dropping to a shell! (Dom0: Ubuntu 10.10, DomU: Ubuntu 10.10)
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:33:06 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:34:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Hitesh Khandelwal
<hitesh.iitk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> root        = '/dev/sda2 ro'

For starters, change that to /dev/xvda2

> disk        = [
>
>  'file:/home/hkhande/xen-image/domains/cloud-vm06/disk.img,sda2,w',

... and here as well. Though newer kernel version will silently change
sd* to xvd*, sometimes the mapping seems inconsistent (sda -> xvde)

> Everything works fine with pygrub, but I need to use Dom0 xenified kernel
> only.

Why?

If you want to do it anyway, start with copying domU's kernel and
initrd to dom0, and use that. Using dom0 kernel&initrd for domU might
require extra effort, which you might not know how to do yet ...

> I also modified /etc/initramfs-tools/modules in Dom0 to include
> scsi_mod, sd_mod, blkbk modules, followed by update-initramfs.

... as shown here.

blkbk is xen block backend device driver, needed by dom0 but not
needed by domU. domU needs xen_blkfront and xen_netfront.

--
Fajar