Re: [Xen-users] Bonded interfaces with trunk and iscsi SAN

On 2/16/2011 8:03 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Donny Brooks<dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
The only thing on that vlan is the SAN. Now that I think about it the
windows machine is set to a /24 on each interface. So it may be that the
SAN
is set for /24 instead of /16. Now just to figure out how to have 4
"interfaces" each with a /24 subnet...... hmmmm. :)
That's easy. ifcfg-br20:1, ifcfg-br20:2, etc. :D

I think it is getting late in the day.... I added the ifcfg-br20:1/2/3/4
files with the contents as follows:

[root@xen-test network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-br20\:*
DEVICE=br20:1
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.130.53
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.130.0
ONBOOT=yes

DEVICE=br20:2
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.131.53
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.131.0
ONBOOT=yes

DEVICE=br20:3
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.132.53
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.132.0
ONBOOT=yes

DEVICE=br20:4
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.133.53
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.133.0
ONBOOT=yes

and when I try to ifup the first interface I get this......

[root@xen-test network-scripts]# ifup br20:1
Bridge support not available in this kernel

How is bridge support not available in the kernel when it is bridges I am
working with already? I think I will take a step away from this for a bit
and come back to it tomorrow.

Apparently when you put "TYPE=Bridge", it decides to always create a
bridge with that name (RHEL6 actually ALLOWS you to have a bridge
named "br0:1"). Removing "TYPE=Bridge" should make it work as
expected.

Fajar you are brilliant! That worked like a charm! Now I can have all four vlans and the "redundant failover" that dell recommends. I mean it is kind of redundantly redundant.... dual controllers with 4 nics per controller in the SAN, with each of the 8 ports split among various cards in my core switch, then going to a 802.3ad type bond to the servers where all 2 or 4 of the NIC's are bonded together. And before anyone says anything... I know it is better to have the SAN on it's own interfaces and setup jumbo frames. That is not an option on the cisco switch we have unfortunately.

Thanks for all the help! Now just to get the stuff to work with a nice gui frontend like eucalyptus or similar.