Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4.0.1 from gitco + Kernel Dom0 from git won'¡t start

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4.0.1 from gitco + Kernel Dom0 from git won'¡t start
From: David Gonzalez <info@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:35:53 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 14:36:58 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/03/2010 01:29 PM, David Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using CentOS 5.5 x64 and installed xen 4.0.1 with stock centos
> 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen kernel and initially it's working flawlesly,
> but I want/need to use the pv_ops dom0 kernel, so I followed
> instructions from this blog
> http://ppadala.net/blog/2010/09/how-to-setup-xen4-and-pvops-2-6-32-x-on-centos-5-5-using-gitco-repository/
>
> I bult the kernel correclty and no errors showed up but when I try to
> boot with the new kernel a panic shows and then the machine reboots
> into a cycle I don't have serial console where to log kernel messages
> and as the machine reboots I cannot take a note of what shows up, my
> grub.conf liooks like this:
>
> title        pv_ops dom0 (2.6.32.26)
> root       (hd0,0)
> kernel    /xen.gz-4.0.1 dom0_mem=512M loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all
> module  /vmlinuz-2.6.32.26-dom0 ro root=/dev/vhost/root
> earlyprintk=xen nomodeset selinux=0
> module       /initrd-2.6.32.26-dom0.img
>
> If you can guide me on how to provide you with more informatio I'd be
> very happy as this last step has always goven me this results.

It would be very helpful if you can get a serial console set up.  But failing that, can you at least take a photo of the screen with the panic?

Well if there's any way to setup such console without the need of a management card it'd be used to debug.

I sure can take the pic if the reboot process gives me enough time as it happens after the xen kernel loads and the vmlinuz part starts but goes extremely fast and it'd have to be very fast finger on the shooter.

What stage of the boot process does the panic happen at?

Just after the xen kernel, the one with the ASCII XEN 4... goes by.

I'll add some lines Pasi told me and see what happens, though the "oops" is quite long. Is there any line that I should be specially aware of or take a note and post here?.

thanks for your kind and helpful responses.

Luck.