Re: [Xen-users] problem with static routes

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 23:32 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>

>> ... and how did you determine that your setup works without Xen?
>
> I have not definitively done that yet. It would require taking down the
> entire cluster including all the VMs, then removing the xen resources
> from the cluster configuration, resulting in an extended down time for
> all the VMs. I did determine that putting the routes back in the bridge
> startup script works around the issue.

Why take down everything?

What I meant was whether the static route setup works without Xen. It
should be something as simple as:
- installing normal (non-xen) kernel (if not already installed) on one
of the nodes
- reboot choosing that kernel

That would at least verify whether the routes stay on after booting or
not, and whether some startup script removes it. The only different
(startup-script wise) between the default normal and xen kernel setup
is that xen's network-bridge script shouldn't be running.

If it works -> probably xen's network-bridge does something wrong, and
you should definitely file a bug to RH
If it still doesn't work (routes still missing several minutes after
boot, or not appearing at all) -> something else is causing problems
in your setup.

> The main reason for
> suspecting xen networking is that there are "ip route delete" commands
> in some of the scripts. That is the only place on the system I have
> found anything like this. I have other high availability clusters that
> do not have Xen where this issue does not occur.

Is it part of /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge?

If yes, you can also test disabling the script and create your own
bridge. Someting like
https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Virtualization_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt.html

With this setup, don't forget that the IP address settings will be in
the bridge's config file (br0, xenbr0, or whatever bridge name you
choose) instead of eth0.

--
Fajar