Re: [Xen-users] Aoe or iScsi???

To: Gilberto Nunes <gilberto.nunes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Aoe or iScsi???
From: Adi Kriegisch <kriegisch@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:49:22 +0200
Cc: Adi Kriegisch <kriegisch@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 05:50:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

> I delivery aoe with a dedicated gigalan crossover between NAS Server and Xen
> Server...
> So, all traffic between this two server ran over this cross cable...
Ok, so you're limited to 1GBit in the storage backend.

> The Xen server is a Dell PowerEdge 1950 and NAS Server is an Intel based PC as
> I said before...
Ok, you probably should check if your Dom0 has irqbalance installed[1];
this could help a little in boosting performance.

> Sometimes, AoE seems lost connection with vblade, then one or two VM get down,
> and I can't return this VM... So I restart both servers! (Amazing!!)
'vblade' -- as mentioned before -- should be considered a reference
implementation. It is single threaded and has no real queuing options. Just
use ggaoed[2] or qaoed[3] and I am pretty sure, performance will improve.

Another issue might be the cross-over cabling solution: You might want to
check syslog on both servers to see if the connection is stable.
Further more there are some NICs that are unable to provide desired
performance with jumbo frames. There are even more cheapo NICs that do not
provide performance at all.

I'd suggest to find the culprit. There seem to be severe issues
"somewhere", go find them. Or you won't be happy with iSCSI either...

-- Adi

[1] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-04/msg00577.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/ggaoed/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/qaoed/