RE: [Xen-users] RAID10 Array

From: Adi Kriegisch [mailto:kriegisch@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 17/06/2010 13:19
To: Jonathan Tripathy
Cc: Adi Kriegisch; Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RAID10 Array

Hi!

> So seriously, if I just wanted to keep it simple, and you vbladed, all I would
> need to do on the storage server is
> vbladed 0 1 eth0 /dev/sdd5
> vbladed 0 1 eth1 /dev/sdd5
> vbladed 0 1 eth2 /dev/sdd5
> and that's it? Nothing on the switch? What about the other end (Client)?
That would be the server side, yes. But -- as I mentioned before -- I
strongly suggest to use a different AoE initiator like ggaoed or qaoed. I
am pretty sure performance will not be what you'd expect it to be with
vblade.

On the client side you need to load the "aoe" module. The default module in
the kernel is v47. I'd suggest to upgrade to v74 from upstream/Coraid as
well -- all those revisions between v47 and v74 bring major and minor
enhancements that are just worth it.
You might want to tell the kernel module to use only certain interfaces for
AoE (like this for example: 'modprobe aoe aoe_iflist=eth1,eth2,eth3,eth4')

-- Adi

Hi Adi,

Looking at this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HighlyAvailableAoETarget

they seem to have made a linux "bond" called bond0 and are telling the AoE target to use that. This confuses me...

Would it be of any benifit to create a "mode 4" bond and use 802.3ad with ATA over Ethernet? Or would that be just a waste, when AoE can use the interfaces directly?

Thanks