Re: [Xen-users] RAID10 Array

Hi!

> You've got me very interested in ATA-over-ethernet. Reading around online, it
> seems very simple! I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:
>
> 1) Can I export LVM volumes as block devices using ATAoE? Then, the "clients"
> (Xen nodes) can do their own LVM stuff with the exported "device"..
Basically yes. You may export just anything that Linux can use as a disk...
Although the usual issues may arise with nested LVMs.  I am using CLVM on the
Xen servers and just export the whole storage to the servers. Then give
certain logical volumes to the DomUs. That way I have a central place to
manage all volumes and avoid nested logical volumes.

> 2) How would I use 802.3ad "link agregation" with ATAoE?
You would not. Just use (for example) 4 NICs for AoE and the kernel driver
will automatically balance your traffic over all available interfaces.
The kernel knows which interfaces can reach which from the target and does
all the balancing.
This even allows high availability when using two switches: just connect
half of the interfaces to one switch and the others to the other switch (do
the same with your storage system) and you're done. You may just plug the
power of one switch and everything will (with a very short delay) continue
to work -- with half the bandwidth, of course.

-- Adi