Re: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand ha

To: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand hardware fencing
From: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:31:29 -0400
Cc: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:34:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I see ... Well, there are two good reasons I cannot have cLVM: need snapshots and it's simply not available for SELS10, so I'm going to keep on asking if permitted.

clvm doesn't do snapshots, so you can't do snapshots from dom0. Snapshots aren't of much use in dom0, though (assuming you're handing LV's to domU's, which have their own caches), so why does that matter? Do your snapshots from within your domU's. cLVM may not be available on SLES10 out of the box, but that doesn't mean you can't add it.

- What if I would use a seperate volume group for every LV (and for every Xen guest)? Would that help? I suppose not really, since the Xen guest should be migratable, meaning that all nodes would need to have a consistent view no all VG's and LV's.

Metadata changes cause writes to disks. Not safe. I've done this before with active/passive clusters where you could somewhat assume some safety (i.e., lvm isn't even running on the passive node) but I'd never do it on

- would snapshotting change the LVM meta data?

Yes, a snapshot is a LV.

--
John Madden
Sr UNIX Systems Engineer