[Xen-users] Concurrent local write error in DRBD with GPL PV drivers

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Concurrent local write error in DRBD with GPL PV drivers
From: Philippe Lang <philippe.lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:32:42 +0200
Accept-language: fr-FR, fr-CH
Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, fr-CH
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 May 2010 01:34:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

We are about to start using in production Windows 2003 64bits XEN VMs running
on top of a DRBD cluster. We have installed the latest GPL PV optimized
drivers. (gplpv_2003x64_0.11.0.213.msi)

Sometimes, when the VM writes on disk, we can see the following error in the
DRBD log:

May  6 17:45:48 s3 kernel: [198887.626841] drbd0: blkback.35.hda[3549]
Concurrent local write detected! [DISCARD L] new: 26745079s +4096; pending:
26745079s +4096

This error is discussed in the following thread of the DRBD mailing list:

http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2009-April/011873.html

Basically, it is due to the fact that a write occurs at a specific location,
while another "in-flight" write is taking place at the same location. In order
to avoid a cluster desynchronization, DRBD drops the second write.

We were able to reproduce this problem, with the help of a Windows program
called "PerformanceTest" from Passmark Software. When doing a "Disk Random Seek
+RW" test, the logs gets filled with the error mentioned at the top of this
message.

We have tested a VM *without* the gplpv drivers, and *no error* appears. We
have tested previous drivers versions (0.11.0.188, 0.10.0.142), and the same
error appears.

So, we have the feeling there is some kind of error in the driver, although we
have never experienced a single VM crash. Can we safely ignore the "Concurrent
local write error" mentioned in the log, or is that really a bug that should be
corrected before using the driver in production?

Best regards,

Attik System              web  : http://www.attiksystem.ch
Philippe Lang             phone: +41 26 422 13 75
rte de la Fonderie 2      gsm  : +41 79 351 49 94
1700 Fribourg             pgp  : http://keyserver.pgp.com