RE: [Xen-users] XenSerialConsole help + GRUB2 (Machine locks up on boot)

To: <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XenSerialConsole help + GRUB2 (Machine locks up on boot)
From: Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:55:49 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:02:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:45:46 +0300 <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > full
> > following

> > > I wouldn't call grub1 legacy since it's still used by most of the
> > distros :)

> > package

> > messages:

> > ensuring
> > line.
> > affect
> > > >

> > > Can you please paste the full boot messages before it locks up?
> > >

> > Unfortunately no, because I am not getting any output (kernel messages) to
> > the terminal on the other machine listening. I attached a photo of what I
> > see on the screen when console=com1,vga.
> >

> So do you see the Xen hypervisor boot messages at least?

Nothing in fact.

> > top
> > not
> > found on
> > > >
> > [3]http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg00340.html

> > working

> > [4]http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DP55WG/DP55WG-overview.htm

> > [6](http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1431863&CatId=1422)
> > > >

> > > Does the serial console work with plain baremetal Linux? (without Xen).
> > >

> > No it does not. I started a thread over on the Debian mailing-list for
> > this though to see if anyone there had any ideas. I have got no replies as
> > of yet.
> >
> > Mainly I was asking if one needed to build the mcs9865-serial.ko (kernel
> > module) against the kernel source for the running kernel in order to log
> > kernel message during boot time or does grub implement a generic driver to
> > capture the kernel message?
> >

> Uhm.. are you saying this serial-card requires some non-standard driver?
> Then it probably can't be used as a serial console.

I was hoping this was not the case. The Linux kernel includes drivers for serial port devices does it not? Can anyone confirm if the Moschip MCS9865 is or is not supported by the Linux kernel?

Can I try using a generic driver with this card that is already built into the Linux kernel?

> The PCI serial-card needs to show up as a 'real' serial port, so that
> Xen can output there boot time (before any drivers are loaded in dom0 kernel).

How does one determine if it is real serial port or not. No /dev/ttyS[?] devices are created in the filesystem and there is nothing in the dmesg out for these serial ports either. The PCI add-in card was advertised to be Linux compatible.

> -- Pasi
>

> > [1]http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/04/msg00765.html

> > > So the first port has IO port 0x1008 and uses IRQ 22.
> >
> > Agreed. And I also physically connected my null modem cable to both (out
> > of two) serial ports to eliminate the possibility that I was connected to
> > the wrong port.
> >

> > > -- Pasi

> > References
> >
> > Visible links
> > 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/04/msg00765.html
> > 2. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9724458

Videos that have everyone talking! Now also in HD! MSN.ca Video.