RE: [Xen-users] XCP storage repository using VHD on top of the LVM (FC s

To: 'Martinx - ?????' <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XCP storage repository using VHD on top of the LVM (FC shared too) instead of the NFS.
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:54:01 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:57:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

XCP does use VHD format on top of the LVs it creates on iSCSI/FC storage. The current problem is that it doesn’t support “thin provisioning” (i.e. not pre-allocating). It’s great for making snapshots and clones but not so good for space usage… as you observed!

There is an early prototype of an XCP/vhd storage daemon which has an LVM implementation optimized for being able to quickly resize volumes. When that stabilizes, we’ll be able to have thin provisioning. We should put the development repo for the prototype on xenbits somewhere.

Cheers,

Dave