Re: [Xen-users] xen storage options - plase advise

> Are your file backed domUs are on a SAN/NAS? If not, where do the disks
> that make up your cluster reside? You can cluster LVM, though you loose
> snapshotting, and NFS is also worth considering depending on how the
> shares are exported e.g. via a NAS where hardware can be more easily
> hot-swapped. Migration to NFS would be easy as well since you could just
> mount your files, copy the contents to an NFS share, and restart your domU.
>
> Jamon

Yes, file based domU's are currently on ocfs2 on a SAN.

I don't do any snapshotting right now, but that's not to say I won't
want to some day. My goal is to get to a point where things are stable
and I can run something to manager everything, ie Orchestrate,
Convirture, something to manage restarting/migrating domU's when one of
the servers has problems. Or I just need to have a server down for
maintenance.

So in general terms, how would I setup LVM (clvm)? Let's say I have two
servers (in this case running sles11). Each server has the SAME
vdisk(LUN) from our Xiotech SAN assigned to it for storage. Let's say
it's a 400gb vdisk. If I add additional servers, they too would be
assigned the same vdisk. Similarly, I could add additional vdisks when
more storage is required.

Anyway, on the first server I setup LVM. Somehow the second server would
also see that as lvm and be able to mount it?

I will search for some documentation on setting up clvm, but my
questions are:

1) Is this where I would/could use clvm?
2) On each server would they see the logical volume at a mount point?
3) Would I need to use xen's built in locking mechanisms or is there
some builtin locking like ocfs2 has?

The only way I'm familiar with nfs is by running nfs on a server and
then other servers mounting nfs from that server. Are you saying that
the SAN could somehow directly provide nfs?

Sorry if some of my questions don't make sense.

Thanks,
James