Re: [Xen-users] debian lenny 3.2.1 doesn't boot, livexen boots just fine

To: Martin Kraus <lists_mk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] debian lenny 3.2.1 doesn't boot, livexen boots just fine
From: Gabor Szilagyi <szilagyi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:41:02 -0500
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 06:41:48 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Martin Kraus wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 05:34:59PM -0200, Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> 1- Get the ISO of the Debian Lenny 5.0 amd64 from http://debian.org;
>> 2- Install your Debian into your own partition scheme (LVM over RAID);
>> 3- Reboot into your new fresh Debian Lenny; upgrade it;
>> 4- * GRUB1 is still the default in Lenny, verify it;
>> 5- Install the Xen with the command: "aptitude install
>> xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64";
>> 6- Reboot into you new dom0.
>
> Thanks for the effort but how does this solve the problem that xen doesn't
> start? I'm already running virtual hosts on that machine and I can't rip
> all of this apart just to get stuck with unbootable system again.
>
> What I need is to find out what the problem is and then start ripping stuff
> apart. I've tried to compile xen myself, versions 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, hg tip, all
> get stuck at some time during xen boot. Until I've tried the live cd, I
> thought that it's some incompatibility with my hardware but since the live cd
> is
> debian lenny on iso and it works fine, I have to look for the part that causes
> xen to freeze.
>
> Since there is only bios, grub and xen running in turn before the machine
> gets stuck I'd say that the problem is in one of these systems.
>
> I'll try to find out something about grub and then I'm going after kvm before
> I decide to scratch the whole machine.

Hi Martin,

I am having the same problem ... ever since I installed grub2 I can not
get xen to boot. I was told it is possible but yet to see someone
writing it down how. Tried the "new" syntax, put dummy=dummy as first
cmd line argument, even compiled the root=/... in the kernel nothing works.

I just get Panic on CPU 0 ... and stuck dump.

I can not use lenny.... the e1000e driver is broken and unfortuntely I
have that chip on my board... (similar issue with 2.6.18 !!!)

There is absolutely something with grub2 and xen combination (not hardware).

I tried even uninstall grub2 and install grub-legacy but grub2 simply
stays in MBR.

tried with the legacy thing after installing

>grub setup (hd0) just hang ... next boot still have the grub2 screen
... really

Tried all sort of combination from the grub menu (grub2) nothing makes
xen boot up

Someone on this list suggested to try to capture all the boot up until
crash, with serial console, which I am planning to do as soon as I get a
serial cable (usb2serial)...

If you get this work please please post it !!! I will report if I make
any headway.

Gabor